Well. I finished my 14 days of poverty: living on 2$ a day. I originally thought I would/could blog during that time, but it just didn’t work out. But here I am. And here’s the update. (When I say 1$, I’m also saying 100 Kenyan Shillings, usually that’s pretty close to the exchange rate.) Read the intro to this experiment here.
Two Dollars a Day for 2 Weeks
Things I learned about while living on 2 dollars a day:
- You don’t get to have your comforting foods
- You’ll be staying home more because you can’t afford the transport
- It’s hard to have a social life because you can’t pay for a motorcycle, you can’t go out to eat/drink and you don’t have enough food at home to entertain
- Keep the lights out when you can: because you can’t afford all that much electricity
- You better not have to go to the doctor, because that will definitely put you over budget
- I finally get why people don’t buy the larger supply and save the money per weight: because they just don’t have the money. Period.
There were things that I would really have liked to do during this period, but I just couldn’t afford it. Even if I wouldn’t spend any money at this place I wanted to go to, I couldn’t even afford the 1-2$ transport to get there and back.